With the President of Kiribati, the Hon Ieremia Tabai, in 1991
Key Lessons Learned
- Creation of revenue authority produces substantial revenue gains
- Revenue Authority is a vital component in the fight against corruption
- Transparency in staff selection and appointments is essential
- Revenue Authority creation facilitates effective state building
- One-stop border posts are essential for trade facilitation and regional integration
My main achievements in Kiribati were:
- A substantial increase in income tax revenues each year. By 1991, my final year, tax revenues showed a 400% increase,
- Implementation of a new income tax law.
- Creation of a Revenue Board.
- Identification of the need to computerise the Taxation Division and thereafter working with a computer professional to establish the data bases and develop the assessing programme.
- Successful negotiation of a Double Taxation Agreement with Australia.